|Model Number||Ray. 1101|
|• Technical data•|
|Abilities|| Xel Absorption|
|• Personal information•|
|Family||Dr. White - Creator Beck - Brother|
|Games|| Mighty No. 9|
Mighty Gunvolt Burst
|• Voice actors•|
Ray's color scheme is mainly black and red. Her outward thighs, hand, and arm cannon are vermilion, with her arm cannon having black and yellow triangles. Her helmet is also vermilion, having pointed ends and a light green center that resembles a brain. She has lime green hair resembling cables. Her elbow joints are red spheres. Her upper torso is a combination of vermilion and green, with two yellow circles. Her lower torso is black, with the right side resembling a mouth. Separating her torso from her legs are red fins. Her boots are mostly white, being red near the bottom. Her boots are also slightly heeled. Her left hand has clawed black digits and blades along her arm, while her arm cannon has four spikes than can extend into blades. Finally, she has a red cloak constructed of Xels.
Abandoned and her body deteriorating, Ray feeds on the Xels of other robots for survival to keep herself from disintegrating. RAY is confused as to why she is alive and seems to be in pain when low on Xels. She has been watching Beck and believes him to be another "predator" because of his ability to absorb Xels. RAY is currently searching for Dr. White, believing that he has the answers as to why she is alive and what's wrong with her, but to get to him she will have to defeat the Mighty Numbers.
During her campaign in Mighty Gunvolt Burst, RAY, wracked with amnesia and long-since forgotten past events, entered Dr. White's VR world to find information about his whereabouts. Her search was fruitless in the end and her declining health and sanity irrevocably crushes her very identity, allowing her Berserk form to break free and kill the remains of her normal personality off to take over.
Ray is supposedly quite powerful as she managed to topple most of Beck's siblings with ease. Ray can use the sharp claws on both of her hands to slash at opponents and can absorb Xels by performing a dash similar to Beck's. Similar to Beck's ReXelection ability, Ray can absorb Xels from defeating the Mighty Numbers and gain the ability to transform. These transformations are called Variation Codes. Unlike Beck, these Variation Codes only alter the appearance of her right arm.
Pyrogen: When active, every slash of Ray's claws that connects with a destructible target creates a large, highly damaging explosion. Weapon energy is burned up fairly fast with this ability, but unlike the other Variation Codes, Ray's default attack is still available when energy is depleted.
Cryosphere: Ray can fire up to three orbs of liquid nitrogen that bounce along the ground and off of walls. Like Beck's ReXelection, they can deal damage over time and allow more time to obtain a 100% Xel Absorption from frozen enemies.
Dynatron: Ray shoots a single electric bit that sticks to enemies or terrain to guide electricity. A bit directly stuck to an enemy will deal continuous damage, while a bit stuck to terrain will release sparks that travel in both directions along the surface.
Seismic: Ray fires a modestly ranged drill tethered to an energy cord. It can pierce enemy shields and is able to hit twice (once going forward and once while returning), rendering it unblockable against most foes. If the drill connects to a climbable platform, Ray is automatically drawn to it and hoists herself up. Unlike most weapons, it can be fired vertically as well as horizontally.
Battalion: When the attack button is held down, Ray unleashes a rapid-fire, less quantitatively restricted version of Beck's default blaster. Like Beck's equivalent ReXelection, it is capable of destroying objects that other weapons cannot.
Aviator: A 360 degree scanning field surrounds Ray while the attack button is held down. When a destructible object or enemy comes into range, a target icon appears over them. If RAY uses her dash while the icon is present, she homes in on the target.
Brandish: The normal attack functions identically to Beck's ReXelection, consuming no energy when used and able to deflect most projectiles. The stance variant consumes a large amount of weapon energy that causes RAY to freeze the action around her, delivering a ballistic series of slashes to all destructible targets on the screen.
Countershade: Allows Ray to cloak, making her invisible and negating damage from attacks that would have hit her. If RAY dashes and absorbs Xel while cloaked, she recovers more weapon energy than usual.
Claw Shot: In Mighty Gunvolt Burst, Ray can shoot her buster arm off as a projectile. The damage output is high, but it has a short range and is slow.
Collapse Ray: An intensively-powerful laser cannon fired from her mouth in her Berserk form, which goes long as the screen. Used in her boss-only attack in Mighty No. 9, and can be used as an attack in Mighty Gunvolt Burst. This move drains her health if used in the latter.
On October 14, 2014, The Mighty No. 9 Kickstarter had its 75th update which contained a riveting teaser of a future (potential) DLC containing a new character. Within the teaser, it seemed to show what appeared to be a malicious being. It stood in front of a surprised Beck while surrounded by fallen Mighty Numbers, who were shown to have holes around their bodies.
Many fans were quick to speculate that this new character was the rumored "Mighty No. 0", however, when the character was presented as such, the Mighty No. 9 Twitter pointed out that "it is NOT Mighty No.0... but a different entity". The identity of this new character was an absolute mystery until the 77th update, when her name and back story were revealed. Within this new information, it was said that this entity, RAY, was to serve as Beck's rival.
On April 28, 2015, it was revealed that RAY's DLC (An "Abandoned Lab" Stage, a new boss, and after defeating RAY, unlocks there to use in the Main Story) would be packed into the Retail version of Mighty No. 9, and it would be free for all backers of the Kickstarter. It has been confirmed that if you do not buy the retail edition of Mighty No. 9, you can still buy her off the Playstation Store/Nintendo Eshop/Xbox Live Store.
|Battle Theme (Retro Version)|
- RAY seems to be based on Zero from the Mega Man X series and Bass.EXE from the Mega Man Battle Network series. She's possibly also based on Omega from the Mega Man Zero series and Sigma from Mega Man X series, especially Mega Man X8.
- RAY's characteristics bears similarity to Kamen Rider Beast from Kamen Rider Wizard,as both served as rival to the protagonist and require to devour certain energy for survival.
- She feeds on Xels like a vampire.
- It was somewhat debated whether or not RAY was male or female, due to the website referring to RAY as "it". Many, however, suspected that RAY was a female due to having a somewhat feminine appearance, and she was confirmed to be female in an update released on June 22, 2015.
- RAY bears an uncanny resemblance to several robots from the Getter Robo franchise. She primarily resembles the design of Getter-1 as seen in Getter Robo Armageddon, and also shares the ability to consume robots with Shin Getter Robo from the Getter Robo Go manga. In addition, the single cutter on her left forearm and her fierce eyes appear to borrow heavily from the Black Getter, also from Getter Robo Armageddon.
- Thanks to Deep Silver, RAY is a playable character in DLC. The DLC was given to all backers, and comes with physical copies of the game. Otherwise, the DLC is $4.99.
- Unlike Beck, RAY does not use ReXelection, but instead uses Variation Codes, which transform her right arm only.
- It's unknown if RAY's campaign happens before or after her meeting with Beck in the Vermilion Destroyer stage.
- The decaying part of RAY's face resembles of the main character of the classic novel The Phantom of the Opera, who used a mask to hide his facial deformities, also the name of her leitmotif is " Love Hidden Under the Mask".
- By the staff and in-game, her name is written in all caps (RAY) in every mention.
- ↑ https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mightyno9/mighty-no-9/posts/1017021
- ↑ https://twitter.com/MightyNo9/status/524820197559910400
- ↑ https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mightyno9/mighty-no-9/posts/1034261
- ↑ http://blog.us.playstation.com/2015/06/03/mighty-no-9-retail-details-cross-buy-pre-order-for-retro-hero-mode/
- ↑ http://www.mightyno9.com/en/20150622